Although the extra kilos hide or conceal them, the abdominal muscles are there. We all have them. It may sound like an obvious statement, but remembering it is a great starting point to advance in a healthy and optimistic crusade: having a flat stomach is possible if we learn some secrets to achieve an abdomen. We tell you how to lose fat, a goal that can be very beneficial to health, beyond the aesthetic advantages.
Taking care of the waist is not only possible, it is within reach. And it’s not just about training like crazy: there are habits that allow you to reduce abdominal fat and lose inches to gain health.
Is it just a matter of doing sit-ups? Don’t you believe it. The abdomen is one of the parts of the body that tends to accumulate the most fat. The reasons: bad posture, poor diet and sedentary life are the main causes. That is to say that there are different factors on which we can operate.
Our weight is mainly determined by the balance between the calories we take in and the energy we burn. If we eat a lot and move little, we will have excess weight and, of course, more fat in our abdomen.
That is precisely why reducing abdominal fat is not only a matter of aesthetics, because the more centimeters we eat, the greater the risk of cardiovascular disease, among other ailments.
Reducing the amount of fat that accumulates in the belly is not achieved by doing long series of sit-ups. It is clear from one of the exercises that it helps, but the experts maintain that the effective thing is to do a more integral physical activity and to carry out a diet focused on burning fat.
The question immediately arises: what should you do first: tone up or lose fat? Ideally, it is best to work on both goals at the same time, improving abdominal strength and performing, in a complementary manner, an exercise routine to mark the abdomen and tone other areas of the body.
For those who are not used to doing this type of routine, it is convenient to start gradually, with a series of 10 of each exercise and increase the amount progressively, as the body gets used to it and improves its response.
We share some of the recommended exercises to work the abdomen integrally and start losing fat:
- Flattening: helps tone the abdomen and activates the transverse abdominal muscle, without causing damage to the back.
- Sprints: these are the classic HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) exercises, whose axis is to make a maximum effort of speed and intensity in a short time. Generally, the “runs” last 30 seconds, with intermediate rests. They can be done on the treadmill, on a fixed bike, on an elliptical trainer, among others. It is recommended to do a series of 8 sprints per training session.
- Abdominals with abductors: lying on the floor, on the left side of the body, the right arm is left stretched and the right leg slightly bent. The left arm is bent under the head and the left leg is straight. The exercise consists in raising the trunk without letting the right arm detach from the ground. At the same time, you should raise your left leg but not touch the ground when you lower it.
- Isometric abdominals: with hands, knees and feet leaned on the ground, we put the navel inward and raise our knees some few centimeters. We keep the posture for some seconds and come back to the rest position.
- March in place: a very simple way is to make some few minutes of sustained and firm march, at a good rhythm, in place.
Beyond the specific and localized exercises for the belly, to smooth the abdomen we should combine strength training with a cardiovascular requirement, and always accompanied by a balanced diet. And it’s not about doing weights: yoga and pilates are two very useful disciplines to strengthen the tone.